Đulbešećerka is a large, fragrant rose, light pink in color, which used to decorate every courtyard. It is used to make jam, cakes, juices… We bring you several recipes for these almost forgotten delicacies. It is best to use fresh roses from your own garden.
- 250 g rose flowers
- 2.5 kg sugar
- 2.5 l water
- 2 sachets citric acid
- Wash rose flowers and separate from peduncles, place in large jars. Add two sachets citric acid and pour water over it. Cover jars with a coffee tray or foil, but do not cover hermetically.
- Leave jars in sunny spot for ten days, until water turns pink, and petals lose their color completely. Strain juice and add sugar. When sugar has melted completely, pour juice into bottles and close well.
- What you now have is a rose syrup juice, which gets diluted with water and served with several slices of lemon and several ice cubes.
- Prepared like this, it can sit in a cold and dark place or in the fridge for a few months. You can pour a part of the juice into plastic bottles and freeze.
- 100 g rose petals
- 1 kg sugar
- 1 l water
- 1/2 sachet citric acid
- Separate petals from flower and gently wash rose petals, and chop up with a knife. Boil a liter of water, and add chopped-up rose petals. Do not be surprised, the roses will not look nice, but they will still smell fragrant.
- After cooking for 15 minutes, add sugar and citric acid. Roses will immediately become purple. Continue mixing until jam becomes more solid and bubbles form at the bottom of the pot.
- Cover with wet napkin and allow to cool. Pour into dry and cold jars.
Rose Ice Cream
- 2 fistfuls rose petals
- 7 dcl milk
- 250 g powdered sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- 8 egg yolks
- Add (washed) rose petals to boiled milk. Cook for several minutes, strain and add sugar and cinnamon to milk, and cook until milk becomes slightly firm. Remove milk from cooktop and cool.
- Add egg yolks one by one and gently stir with a whisk, return to cookpot until it boils, then pour contents into another dish and mix constantly until it cools.
- You may add several red drops to ice cream, in order to get a pink color (optional).